The 2016 Vancouver Fringe Festival may be technically over, but audiences have one last chance to take in encore performances of six shows. Chosen based on popularity, these are the Pick of the Fringe shows that audiences and critics alike were talking about in line-ups and online.
The 2016 Public Market Pick of the Fringe will take place at Performance Works on Granville Island from September 21-25. Visit http://vancouverfringe.com for tickets and information.
Along with naming the six shows to be held-over, awards were presented on the final night of this year’s festival:
- Cultchivating the Fringe Award – The After After Party. From the Fringe to The Cultch, this award pays tribute to the show that demonstrates unique potential and rewards it with a run at The Cultch.
- Joanna Maratta Award- RAGMOP Theatre (Falling Awake) – honouring those who best exhibit the original founding spirit of the Vancouver Fringe Festival.
- Georgia Straight Critics’ Choice Award – The After After Party & The Orbweaver.
- The Fringe New Play Award – Deneh’Cho Thompson (The Girl Who Was Raised by Wolverine). Playwrights Theatre Centre joins the Fringe in offering dramaturgy for the winning script and a guaranteed mainstage spot in the 2016 Vancouver Fringe Festival.
- BC Touring Council Award – Hip.Bang! (Hip.Bang! Improv and Hip.Bang! Presents the History of Romance) – for the artist with the best potential for touring in BC.
- Mollie Bradley Award- RAGMOP Theatre (Falling Awake) – selected by jury, this new award honours the memory of Fringe Board member, Jim Sibley’s mother-in-law. This cash award supports either the winner of the Joanna Maratta Award or the BC Touring Council Award by providing financial help for travel, marketing, and other professional development of one or both award winners.
- Artistic Risk Award – Cameryn Moore (Nerdfucker) – the Vancouver Fringe’s Board of Directors awards this prize for risk-taking in Fringe theatre to the artist or group of artists who best pushes the boundaries of theatre. The 2015 Award is in memory of Mollie Bradley.
- Volunteer Choice Award – The Orbweaver – some of the Fringe’s most dedicated fans have their say.
- The SOFA (Spirit of the Fringe Award) – Bon Dos Remedios from Walk the Talk – this award goes to the artist or artists that Fringe staff and volunteers feel most exemplifies the Fringe attitude.