On February 27, the Chan Centre presents renowned jazz vocalist Dee Dee Bridgewater with Irvin Mayfield and his New Orleans Jazz Orchestra in a musical homage to New Orleans. Here are five reasons we think you should go:
1. The two GRAMMY award-winning artists will perform songs from their 2015 album Dee Dee’s Feathers, a showcase that embraces the rich musical history of New Orleans while presenting a modern vision of the city.
2. As a collaborative project, Dee Dee’s Feathers paints a vivid picture of New Orleans, the birthplace of jazz more than a century ago, and which remains today a hotbed of creativity and innovation for the enduring genre.
3. Over four decades, Dee Dee Bridgewater has put her unique spin on standards and re-envisioned jazz classics. She is the recipient of three GRAMMY awards as a vocalist, and a Tony award for her role as Glinda in the original Broadway production of The Wiz.
4. Mayfield is a gifted trumpeter, organist, composer, and bandleader with fifteen albums to his credit. In addition to a GRAMMY and Billboard music award he founded the New Orleans Jazz Orchestra in 2003 to celebrate and advance the historical legacy of jazz.
5. Bridgewater and Mayfield, backed by a 16-piece symphonic big band, will serenade audiences with both jazz standards and new compositions.
Dee Dee Bridgewater and Irvin Mayfield with the New Orleans Jazz Orchestra plays the Chan Centre’s Chan Shun Concert Hall on February 27. Visit http://chancentre.com for tickets and information.