Firecracker!, the latest offering from the Vancouver TheatreSports League, gets underway next week. Here are five reasons you should go:
1. Just in time for the all-female re-boot of Ghostbusters, Firecracker! features an all-star cast of female improvisers.
2. Organizers tell us to expect a different experience from mixed-gender casts, where women are willing to take more risks when they play with other women.
3. Firecracker! will explore what it means to be a woman in Vancouver. Themes such as dating and romance, career and work/life balance, female friendships and body image will all be examined through the audience suggestions.
4. The inaugural shows will include a special female guest, whose stories of their life, work and achievements will inspire the performance. Some of the special guests include Rebecca Bollwitt (aka Miss 604), Beverley Elliott (aka Granny from television’s Once Upon a Time), and Morgan Brayton (comedian and television host).
5. This is participatory comedy, with audience suggestions an integral role in determining and driving the improvised action.
Firecracker! plays The Improv Centre on Granville Island (1502 Duranleau St, Vancouver) on Thursdays beginning July 21. Visit http://vtsl.com for tickets and information.