Vancouver’s cabaret-style dance series turns 32 with an eclectic mix of original contemporary creations by some of our city’s dance-greats. Here are five reasons we think you should go:
1. The latest edition features a few first time ‘Small Stagers’ including Heather Myers, formerly of Nederlands Dans Theater; local contemporary dance artist and actor Agnes Tong; and Ballet BC dancer Andrew Bartee.
2. Odissi Indian dance artist Scheherazaad Cooper will be paired with flamenco artist Dayna Szyndrowski in a striking, cross-cultural piece.
3. Ballet BC favourite Kirsten Wicklund returns to her Small Stage roots for the first time since 2013.
4. As the 2015/16 company-in-residence at the Shadbolt Centre for the Arts, many of these creative partnerships are the result of a series of artistic labs facilitated by Small Stage over the summer months in 2015.
5. The performance will take place at The Anza Club, a new, intimate space for the event.
Small Stage 32 takes place at The Anza Club (3 West 8th Ave) from October 20-23. Visit http://smallstage.ca for tickets and information.