The 12th annual PuSh International Performing Arts Festival gets underway January 19. Vancouver’s mid-winter celebration of the live performing arts, the PuSh Festival features over 150 performances with works by artists and companies from around the world. Here are five main stage shows we think you should not miss this year (with video):
1. Presented with the Arts Club Theatre Company, BOOM (Jan 14-Feb 13) is Rick Miller’s mixed-media solo performance in which he presents “25 years in 100 minutes”. Using a selection of archival videos and photography, Plus impersonations of over 100 notable figures, Miller provides a guide through over two decades of history in documentary-like style.
2. For one night only, Vancouver’s The Holy Body Tattoo dance company unites with Canadian post-rock band Godspeed You! Black Emperor in monumental (Jan 28). After a 10-year hiatus,The Holy Body Tattoo kicks off its world tour with this hometown performance that explores the madness of urban life.
3. Gathered from conversations with strangers one night in Melbourne, Intimacy (Jan 20-23) is the dramatic presentation of the anecdotes, unashamed disclosures and life stories of the anonymous people Ranters Theatre’s Adriano Cortese encountered that evening.
4. In Enternal (Feb 2-6), Actors Christina Rouner and Thomas Jay Ryan perform the final scene from Charlie Kaufman’s 2004 film Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. While the original scene in the movie ran a mere four minutes, here the two actors improvise the dialogue, in real-time, a total of 23 times.
5. In Miss Understood (Jan 27-31), trans* spoken word artist Antonette Rea bares her soul and her life through poetry. Produced by Vancouver’s queer theatre company, the frank theatre company, Rea covers a life of pain that includes the oppression of queer identity by society, the dangers of sex work and the misery of addiction.
The 2016 PuSh International Performing Arts Festival takes place January 19 to February 7, 2016 at various venues across Vancouver. Visit http://pushfestival.ca for more information.