From contemporary and Scottish to swing and Pow Wow, the annual Scotiabank Dance Centre Open House offers the chance to sample a host of dance styles in a day of open classes and events. Here are five reasons we think you should go:
1. The day includes eighteen free events including classes (suitable for beginners), workshops and performances.
2. Highlights include a performance of Brazilian dances and capoeira by Aché Brasil, a studio showing with Co.ERASGA, and a workshop on injury prevention with Anderson Performance Clinic.
3. In the evening, two Vancouver contemporary dance artists – Ziyian Kwan of dumb instrument Dance and Vanessa Goodman of Action at a Distance – will share a triple bill of their work, in a performance titled Simile.
4. The annual open house is an opportunity to discover the excitement and diversity of Vancouver’s dance scene
5. This is a great opportunity to not only discover Vancouver’s dance scene, but to check out the Arthur Erickson designed Centre, considered to be Canada’s flagship dance facility.
The 15th annual Scotiabank Dance Centre Open House takes place at the Scotiabank Dance Centre (677 Davie Street) on Saturday, September 10. Visit http://thedancecentre.ca for more information.