Vancouver’s fall arts season is about to get underway. Here are five live music events not to miss.
1. Vancouver Opera kicks off its latest season with one of Giuseppe Verdi’s greatest achievements, Rigoletto (Sep 26 & Oct 1,3,4). Featuring Vancouver soprano Simone Osborne and baritone Gordon Hawkins, Rigoletto is filled with irresistible melodies, heartbreaking drama, and vivid characters in its story of seduction, love and revenge.
2. Ringo Starr and his All-Star Band (Oct 9) comes to the Queen Elizabeth Theatre. Joining the former Beatles drummer and vocalist in this iteration of the band are Joe Walsh (Eagles and James Gang), Nils Lofgren (E Street Band), Pat Mastelotto (Mr. Mister), Chris Fryar (Zac Brown Band) and vocalist, Christopher Cross.
3. Canadian alt-rockers 54-40 celebrate a major milestone with 35 years together at its annual Commodore Ballroom room show on October 10.
4. The Vancouver Symphony Orchestra presents A Halloween Spectacular (Oct 30 & 31) that includes Andrew Lloyd Webber’s Phantom of the Opera, Grieg’s In the Hall of the Mountain King plus music from the Harry Potter films and E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial. Patrons are urged to come dressed in costume.
5. Vancouver’s queer dance band Queer As Funk celebrates the Halloween season with Fear As Funk II: Return of the Funk! (Oct 31). The band brings together ten musicians in a high-energy show with a repertoire ranging from funk, soul and Motown classics to contemporary favourites.