The Chan Centre opens its new season and we serve up our five must-see picks at this year’s Vancouver Fringe Festival so far.
The Chan Centre for the Performing Arts at the University of British Columbia opens its 2014/2015 season with longtime collaborators Chris Thile and Edgar Meyer (Sep 16) in an evening of music that blurs the boundaries of bluegrass, classical, and pop. Having previously collaborated on several critically acclaimed projects including the Grammy Award-winning Goat Rodeo Sessions with Yo-Yo Ma in 2011, the duo once again reunite to promote their newest album with the Chan Centre stop their only Canadian date on their North American tour.
- Peter n’ Chris and the Kinda OK Corral – there is a reason Peter n’ Chris were named best sketch troupe last year at the Canadian Comedy Awards and why you’ll find line-ups and sold-out shows at the Fringe.
- Moonlight After Midnight – not so much a mystery as it is a quiet love story.
- Ludwig & Lohengrin – funny and poignant, this is one biography worth exploring.
- Roller Derby Saved My Soul – it is the most fun you’re going to have on eight wheels at the Fringe.
- The Chariot Cities – ambitious for sure, but there are so many beautifully realized moments.