During this time of social distancing and dark theatres, Vancouver Presents continues to check in with members of our arts community to find out how they are staying creative and managing during the pandemic.
Today we check in with Vancouver-based illusionist Camilo The Magician.
1. How are you staying creative during the pandemic?
I feel that with the pandemic I have become more creative. At least at the beginning when we were on lockdown because I had no distractions. For me its been the same process as before.
2. What’s the one thing getting you through?
The idea that one day will be back on stage, I keep picturing that moment the lights will go back on!
3. How are you staying in contact with family and friends who are not in your bubble?
The virtual world! At the beginning lots of virtual calls, now we try to get together online to play some games.
4. What is the biggest lesson you’ve learned so far during the pandemic?
How much I take things for granted.
5. What do you feel the most grateful for right now?
Having my wife at home!
6. What is something you are doing now that you don’t normally?
Having a routine, now that my wife is at home working, we have our own routine together.
7. What skill have you developed since the pandemic started?
I’ve been able to solve the Rubik’s Cube!!
8. What have you missed the most?
9. Your #1 pandemic survival tip.
Don’t turn on the news every day.
10. Your biggest indulgence since the pandemic started.
11. What have you stockpiled?
Decks of cards!! JK – food.
12. What have you been reading?
Magic books and trying to learn magic with ropes.
13. What have you been watching?
Many many magic shows and tv shows. Right now is The Last Dance.
14. What have you been listening to?
15. What are you doing for exercise?
16. The one thing you haven’t been able to live without?
My deck of cards.
17. Do-it-yourself haircut or the natural look?
Natural look for a while, until the wife gave the order! Then she attempted to give me a hair cut!
18. Night owl or early riser?
19. Will you be the first out as restrictions are gradually lifted or taking a wait-and-see attitude?
Absolutely taking a wait and see attitude.
20. What’s the first thing you will do when this is all over?
Probably start looking where the first show on stage is going to be.
Meet Camilo The Magician
Camilo has been a full-time professional for the last eleven years. He has showcased his magic all across Canada. His world-class magic, unique personality, charming style, and amazing illusions have made him one of the most in-demand magicians in Canada. Camilo was born in Colombia, but for the past 15 years, Vancouver has been home for him. He entertains at private functions, corporate events, trade shows, and TV appearances all across Canada. He also consults for theatre and TV projects, and now he is doing his new virtual magic shows!
You can find out more about Camilo online at camilothemagician.com or follow him on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter and YouTube.