Meet Vancouver producer, director, dramaturge and Co-Artistic Director of ITSAZOO Productions, Chelsea Haberlin.
Meet Chelsea Haberlin
Chelsea is Co-Artistic Director of ITSAZOO Productions as well as a professional producer, director and dramaturge. Chelsea has an MFA in directing from UBC, a BFA with a specialization in Applied Theatre from UVic and is a graduate of the National Voice Intensive. She is the recipient of the Sydney J Risk award in directing and the Ray Michal award for outstanding body of work by an emerging director. She is currently the resident producer with Neworld Theatre.
20 Questions with Chelsea Haberlin
1. Your first job.
2. The job you always wanted as a child.
Actor, indie film director (for real, I don’t even know how I knew what that was).
3. Your pet peeve.
Tardiness and people not reading the details in emails then asking questions you’ve already answered. Peeves shared by all theatre producers I’m sure.
4. Your hero.
My mom and Peter Brook.
5. Your biggest indulgence.
Expensive lattes and beers.
6. One thing no one knows about you (and you’re willing to share).
I sleep with a blanky I’ve had since I was born. Not ashamed!
7. Three things you would want with you on a deserted island.
Coconut water, my phone, my Sebastien.
8. The one word your best friend would use to describe you.
9. If you were not a director what would you be doing right now?
Probably in arts admin or childcare.
10. Your hero.
11. Your life’s motto/mantra.
Just do it.
12. Your favourite playwright or author.
Hard one … Edward Albee, Margaret Atwood, Tracy Letts and so many more.
13. The last book you read.
Madd Addam by Margaret Atwood
14. If you were a breakfast cereal what breakfast cereal would you be?
15. What will it say on your grave marker?
She really lived every minute she had.
16. Who would you most like to have dinner with?
17. Your idea of happiness.
Beer, pizza, True Detective and my Sebby.
18. If you could go back in time, what would you tell your twenty year old self?
You’re on the right track, be happy with yourself.
19. The one thing in your life that makes you most proud.
ITSAZOO, I built this company from nothing but an idea at 20 years old and I feel great about how far it’s come.
20. To be or not to be?
To be for sure.