Meet Vancouver actor Corina Akeson, who will next appear as Leontes in the upcoming all-female cast production of The Winter’s Tale.
The Winter’s Tale plays the PAL Studio Theatre ( 581 Cardero St, Vancouver) July 26 – August 9. Visit https://classicchic.ca for tickets and information.
Meet Corina Akeson
A Graduate of Studio 58, Corina has performed professionally in theatre in British Columbia, across Canada and in the US. To gain access to a wider variety of wonderful roles and opportunity to work with some splendid directors, she has also volunteered her performances with a number of local community theatre groups. As a member of the currently-dormant Cor Departure Physical Theatre Ensemble, Corina spent a number of years with the group co-creating and producing new works, both as an independent company and also in collaboration with the Evergreen Cultural Centre, through whom she also taught drama to primary, elementary and high school groups. Corina also works in voice over, film and television, dabbles in sound design, set carpentry and has most recently tried her hand at directing, an area she hopes to have many more opportunities. Outside of the arts, Corina is a professional carpenter and a part time stay at home mom.
20 Questions with Corina Akeson
1. Your first job.
Babysitting an infant. I had no business being left alone to care for that tiny baby.
2. The job you always wanted as a child.
3. Your pet peeve.
Dishonesty … and when the tab breaks off of a pull top can. Nearly the worst.
4. Your hero.
5. Your biggest indulgence.
Buying things for other people.
6. One thing no one knows about you (and you’re willing to share).
Well if I tell you that … I’m scared. Every day. That I’m not enough.
7. Three things you would want with you on a deserted island.
Music. wine. A good dance partner.
8. The one word your best friend would use to describe you.
Awesome. (I asked her. I would have thought strong … but I’ll take awesome.)
9. If you were not a performer what would you be doing right now?
10. Hero or villain.
Oh! … definitely a Villain.
11. Your life’s motto/mantra.
I don’t know that I have a formal motto, but I believe in the seeking out the beauty in the world and contributing to it in any way possible. In seizing courage and doing things that are scary. In looking at life as an opportunity for blatant curiosity, exploration and expansion. And to do all that gracefully and with respect.
12. Your favourite playwright or author.
13. The last book you read.
Garth Stein’s The Art of Racing in The Rain.
14. If you were a cartoon character what cartoon character would you be?
Yzma from The Emperor’s New Groove.
15. What will it say on your grave marker?
Thanks for the adventure!
16. Who would you most like to have dinner with?
17. Your idea of happiness.
The smell of the ocean and the sea breeze on my face.
18. If you could go back in time, what would you tell your twenty year old self?
Stop waiting for it to happen, go make it happen.
19. The one thing in your life that makes you most proud.
The sum of the parts are greater than the whole… it’s all the little, sometimes insignificant, successes.
20. To be or not to be?
To be. The question is how?