This week we meet Ballet BC apprentice Maya Tenzer.
Meet Maya Tenzer
Maya grew up in Vancouver and began dancing at Arts Umbrella at age ten. Under the direction of Artemis Gordon and Lynn Sheppard, she worked with choreographers James Kudelka, Crystal Pite, Gioconda Barbuto, Lesley Telford, Aszure Barton, Walter Matteini and Iratxe Ansa, among others. Maya attended summer intensives at the San Francisco Conservatory of Dance and in 2013 apprenticed with Justine Chambers in the creation of her work Sphinx. In 2014, she toured Europe with the Arts Umbrella Dance Company, performing in Fernando Magadan’s work alongside Netherlands Dans Theater dancers as a part of their Switch program. Maya is thrilled to be an apprentice this season with Ballet BC.
Visit https://balletbc.com for more information on the Ballet BC 2014/2015 season.
20 Questions with Maya Tenzer
1. Your first job.
This apprenticeship with Ballet BC.
2. The job you always wanted as a child.
To be in Broadway musicals.
3. Your pet peeve.
When couples are out to dinner but they spend the whole dinner on their smart phones.
4. Your hero.
5. Your biggest indulgence.
6. One thing no one knows about you (and you’re willing to share).
That’s a hard one …
7. Three things you would want with you on a deserted island.
A notebook, music, and chocolate.
8. The one word your best friend would use to describe you.
9. If you were not a dancer what would you be doing right now?
10. Hero or villain.
11. Your life’s motto/mantra.
It changes often.
12. Your favourite kind of dance (classical or contemporary).
There are so many.
13. The last movie you watched.
14. If you were a breakfast cereal what breakfast cereal would you be?
Honey Bunches of Oats.
15. What will it say on your grave marker?
I can’t say …
16. Who would you most like to have dinner with?
17. Your idea of happiness.
18. If you could go back in time, what would you tell your twenty year old self?
I am twenty right now.
19. The one thing in your life that makes you most proud.
20. Pirouette or fouette?