Meet actor, singer and improviser, Alex Gullason.
Meet Alex Gullason
Alex is an actor, singer and improviser from North Vancouver, B.C. Since graduating from the musical theatre program at Capilano University she has worked across Canada extensively. In addition to working in theatre, Alex has also branched into comedy. She is a rookie with the Vancouver TheatreSports League and is one-half of a comedy duo called The Dangerous Janes. She is an Ovation Award winner and a Jessie nominee. She is also an artistic associate of Monster Theatre. Look for Alex in Monster Theatre’s production of Jesus Christ: The Lost Years and this summer as Sophie in Chemainus Theatre’s production of Mamma Mia!.
20 Questions with Alex Gullason
1. Your first job.
I worked as a receptionist at a spa and salon, I was very bad at it and would do my homework at work.
2. The job you always wanted as a child?
Professional horseback rider.
3. Your pet peeve.
Loud eaters. If you start eating an apple next to me in a car I will tuck and roll.
4. Your hero.
Kirsten Wiig. She’s talented and beautiful and not afraid to be ugly for the sake of the funny.
5. Your biggest indulgence.
Jackets. I have way too many and I will buy more, that’s a promise.
6. One thing no one knows about you.
When I was a child I desperately wanted my name to be Judy.
7. Three things you would want with you on a deserted island.
A jacket, a horse, and Kristen Wiig.
8. The one word your best friend would use to describe you.
9. If they made a movie about your life, who would it star?
I would be honoured if Kate McKinnon would. Honoured.
10. Hero or villain?
Hero. There are too many villains in the world right now.
11. Your life’s motto/mantra.
If nothing changes, nothing changes.
12. Your favourite playwright?
13. The last book you read.
“Never Let Me Go” by Kazuo Ishiguro.
14. If you were a cartoon character what cartoon character would you be?
I’ve never been hugely into cartoons but Maya Rudolph’s character Connie in Big Mouth is just impeccable. She’s funny, sexy and brassy.
15. What will it say on your grave marker?
She tried really hard and was nice to people.
16. Who would you most like to have dinner with?
Give me Maya Rudolph, Tina Fey, Amy Poehler, Kristen Wiig, Kate McKinnon and a bottle of Merlot and it’s going to be a good night.
17. Your idea of happiness.
Doing art, good friends, family and a dog.
18. If you could go back in time, what would you tell your twenty-year-old self?
Girl chill out. Stop comparing yourselves to others and do your thing. Also don’t get bangs, they take forever to grow out.
19. The one thing in your life that makes you most proud.
Doing improv with Rapid Fire Theatre at the Edmonton Fringe. Exactly a year before I was watching them and said to myself, “I’m want to do that.”
20. To be or not to be?
To be! Yes AND.