Meet Juno award-winning singer-songwriter Jessie Farrell.
Meet Jessie Farrell
Jessie Farrell is singer-songwriter and performer based in North Saanich, British Columbia. She stars in the CBC Kids TV show, Jessie & The Gumboot Kids, and her music is featured throughout The Gumboot Kids series which is broadcast in Canada, Australia, South Korea and Hong Kong. Jessie is driven by a passion for creating music that connects with and soothes the child within all of us.
You can find out about Jessie online at jessiefarrell.com or follow her on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.
20 Questions with Jessie Farrell
1. Your first job.
I started babysitting the neighbourhood kids when I was a 12 years old. I would always sing the children to sleep so in a way it was my first paid gig.
2. The job you always wanted as a child?
Dream job was cake decorator and singer, of course. I always dreamed I could have my cake and eat it too!
3. Your pet peeve.
4. Your hero.
My two children, aged 6 and 3.
5. Your biggest indulgence.
Being alone. Going to a mineral pool and floating outside under the stars.
6. One thing no one knows about you.
I can yodel.
7. Three things you would want with you on a deserted island.
Is it a tropical island? My family, a guitar, and fresh food … hmm maybe I should move to a deserted Island!?
8. The one word your best friend would use to describe you.
9. If you were not doing what you are doing now, what would you be doing?
I would find other ways to help and heal people.
10. Hero or villain?
My son is obsessed with superheroes so I’d say I lean towards hero.
11. Your life’s motto/mantra.
Breathe, eat healthy, live close to nature and love with your whole heart. Oh and get lots of sleep…
12. The song that gets the most play on your iPhone?
I’m prepping to go out on a tour with The Gumboot Kids, the kids television series I do on CBC. I’m playing along to many of the songs from the series and on my family albums (Take me Outside, Chirp Chirp Happy and Sparkle & Shine).
13. The last book you read.
A Year in Miracles by Marianne Williamson.
14. If you were a cartoon character what cartoon character would you be and why?
A combo of the stop-motion animated characters, Scout and Daisy from The Gumboot Kids. When you see their miniature world you’ll want to be them too.
15. What will it say on your grave marker?
Lived and loved wholeheartedly.
16. Who would you most like to have dinner with?
My husband because we rarely get a chance to sit and talk.
17. Your idea of happiness.
Pure happiness is the creative process of songwriting. It never gets tiresome and I’ve been doing it for 25+ years.
18. If you could go back in time, what would you tell your twenty-year-old self?
Keep dreaming, keep doing the work and keep writing music because it all pays off in ways you will never have expected it to.
19. The one thing in your life that makes you most proud.
Anything I do to help and care for others. And of course my kids.
20. To be or not to be?
Let it be.