This week we meet Ballet BC apparentic Zoe Michalik.
Meet Zoe Michalik
Born in Halifax, Zoe won a scholarship from the Nova Scotia Talent Trust before starting her training at the National Ballet School at age 11. Zoe has worked with choreographers such as Aszure Barton, Robert Binet and Peggy Baker, and danced with The National Ballet of Canada in their production of Nutcracker by James Kudelka. In 2012 she participated in an exchange with the Royal Danish Ballet School, and was part of Assemblée Internationale 2013 hosted by the NBS, which included professional schools from around the world coming together to collaborate, choreograph and perform. In 2014, Zoe received a Peter Dwyer Scholarship through the Canada Council for the Arts.
Visit http://balletbc.com for more information on the Ballet BC 2014/2015 season.
20 Questions with Zoe Michalik
1. Your first job.
Apprentice with Ballet BC.
2. The job you always wanted as a child.
3. Your pet peeve.
Angry bus drivers.
4. Your hero.
5. Your biggest indulgence.
6. One thing no one knows about you (and you’re willing to share).
I can talk to cats.
7. Three things you would want with you on a deserted island.
My backpack full of stuff, a tent, and my pets.
8. The one word your best friend would use to describe you.
9. If you were not a dancer what would you be doing right now?
Something outside in nature.
10. Hero or villain.
11. Your life’s motto/mantra.
“We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from it.”
12. Your favourite kind of dance (classical or contemporary).
Probably Josephine Baker’s Banana Dance.
13. The last movie you watched.
14. If you were a breakfast cereal what breakfast cereal would you be?
15. What will it say on your grave marker?
16. Who would you most like to have dinner with?
A good friend I don’t get to see very often.
17. Your idea of happiness.
Taking my dog for a walk.
18. If you could go back in time, what would you tell your twenty year old self?
I haven’t turned twenty yet, so instead I will tell my future twenty year old self to enjoy every minute.
19. The one thing in your life that makes you most proud.
The amazing people I have in my life.
20. Pirouette or fouette?
They’re about the same.