During this time of social distancing and dark theatres, Vancouver Presents continues to check in with our arts community members to find out how they are staying creative and managing during the pandemic.
Today we check in with Vancouver actor Anita Wittenberg.
1. How are you staying creative during the pandemic?
When everything closed down early on, and I was supposed to be doing a play, I convinced my strata neighbours to let me rip out some shrubs and plant a community
herb garden for our 11 families. That really got me through April and May and has been enjoyable all summer. I find gardening very creative. I also really enjoyed being a part of
Hannah Siden’s Breathing Easy – I’ve never filmed something over zoom before!
2. What’s the one thing getting you through?
“This too shall pass.” I’m trying to stay hopeful.
3. How are you staying in contact with family and friends who are not in your bubble?
Facetime and phone and real letters!
4. What is the biggest lesson you’ve learned so far during the pandemic?
How easy it is to take the joy of gathering together with others for granted. I’ve also learned that living a less hectic life is a good thing.
5. What do you feel the most grateful for right now?
6. What is something you are doing now that you don’t normally?
7. What skill have you developed since the pandemic started?
I’m working on getting better at the whole self-tape audition thing…
8. What have you missed the most?
9. Your #1 pandemic survival tip.
Go outside! Even a walk around the block helps.
10. Your biggest indulgence since the pandemic started.
I’ve bought a few books…
11. What have you stockpiled?
I didn’t really stockpile anything.
12. What have you been reading?
13. What have you been watching?
I have to say The Great Canadian Baking Show and old episodes of The Great British Baking Show has been a balm to my soul!
14. What have you been listening to?
15. What are you doing for exercise?
Walking and jogging around my neighbourhood.
16. The one thing you haven’t been able to live without?
Though I’ve tried, I still can’t help watching/reading the news…
17. Do-it-yourself haircut or the natural look?
I went for my first haircut in seven months this past week. I cut my son’s hair a couple of times in the spring… it was a disaster.
18. Night owl or early riser?
Surprisingly, I’ve become a pandemic early riser.
19. Will you be the first out as restrictions are gradually lifted or taking a wait-and-see attitude?
I want to support local businesses, so I am going out here and there…but not a lot.
20. What’s the first thing you will do when this is all over?
Meet Anita Wittenberg
I’m Anita Wittenberg. I’ve been a professional actor for over thirty years, and I’m incredibly grateful for every opportunity I’ve had across Canada and in the USA. I’ve been lucky to do all kinds of theatre and also TV and film. I have two young adult children, a home I love in this terrific city and a treasure trove of friends. Thrift stores and gardens are places that make me very happy!