Meet Chris Griffin, the Vancouver-based comedian (not the cartoon character).
Meet Chris Griffin
Chris Griffin is one of comedy’s most dynamic storytellers. After winning his regional round of the Great Canadian Laugh Off during his first year of comedy, Chris did something crazy. He quit his full time job, sold his house and hit stages across North America doing what he loves best – drinking and making people laugh. It was a gamble that has paid off.
His move to Vancouver has brought a ton of success for Griffin, including a first place win in Vancouver’s Yuk Yuk’s Competition. Chris also has the distinction of being one of the only Canadian comics to ever make the finals of the prestigious San Francisco International Comedy Competition. He has performed every year at the Just For Laughs Northwest Festival and has shared the stage with such notable comics as Norm Macdonald, Doug Stanhope, Tom Papa, Ari Shaffir, and Bert Kreischer.
2018 is already off to a great start as Griffin was nominated three times and took home one award in the inaugural Vancouver Comedy Awards.
20 Questions with Chris Griffin
1. Your first job.
I started at Dairy Queen when I was 15 and stayed there for four great years. I won Employee of the Month two months into the job, and they never did the contest again so my ‘Sears portrait’ stayed up on the wall for the entire four years.
2. The job you always wanted as a child?
My dream jobs were Dairy Queen for the ice cream, Toys-R-Us for the toy discount, and stand-up comedian for the millions. So far I’ve had two of my three dream jobs.
3. Your pet peeve.
People who think they can sing but can’t.
4. Your hero.
Oprah Winfrey, Elon Musk, Dave Merheje , Ellen Degeneres and Kanye West. All have affected the world in significant ways, and all have great smiles.
5. Your biggest indulgence.
6. One thing no one knows about you.
I won a drinking competition in Washington DC in 2010 after drinking 1.75 litres of gin.
7. Three things you would want with you on a deserted island.
A puppy, a machine gun, and a yacht. .
8. The one word your best friend would use to describe you.
9. If you were not doing what you are doing now, what would you be doing?
Probably a facilities manager for a tech company.
10. Hero or villain?
Both. The best heroes are villains in their own right, and vice versa.
11. Your life’s motto/mantra.
Follow your heart. Dreams come true.
12. The song that gets the most play on your iTunes playlist.
“Can’t Tell Me Nothing” by Kanye and “Nikes” by sweet Frankie O.
13. The one comedian who makes YOU laugh.
Norm MacDonald is the funniest human on the planet I think.
14. If you were a cartoon character what cartoon character would you be and why?
I don’t want to talk about this.
15. What will it say on your grave marker?
I only made love.
16. Who would you most like to have dinner with?
I’d love to have dinner with Barack Obama and tell him all my anxieties and my dreams. I feel he’d have some good perspective.
17. Your idea of happiness.
Just people laughing and stuff.
18. If you could go back in time, what would you tell your twenty-year-old self?
For the love of god, do not date your neighbour.
19. The one thing in your life that makes you most proud.
I have met so many talented people, and they all make me proud that they’re doing what they love.
20. To be or not to be?
Always be yourself.