Meet Vancouver-based actor, Daniel Davis Yang.
Born and raised in East Vancouver, Daniel’s professional acting career started when he was cast on CW’s Riverdale, playing the character of Dilton Doiley in the opening episode of the hit series.
From there, Daniel booked a lead role in the CBC comedy Crawford, as Brian, the teenage son in the ‘the world’s most functioning dysfunctional family’. All twelve episodes of the new comedy begins streaming on the CBC TV app today, with the series set to broadcast this summer on the national broadcaster’s main network.
Most recently Daniel filmed a guest star role in season two of the NBC drama, Taken, in which he plays naive teenager raised in North Korea in an environment of state propaganda.
20 Questions with Daniel Davis Yang
1. Your first job.
I worked in the games department at the PNE. Great job. Great people. Loved every bit of it.
2. What is the greatest love of your life?
The movie Jagten starring Mads Mikkelsen directed by Thomas Vinterberg. One of the best films I’ve ever seen.
3. Your pet peeve.
When you’re jamming to a song and then out of nowhere whoever’s connected to the bluetooth or has the aux cuts to a different song just as it gets good. I do that all the time. I know. I’m sorry.
4. Your hero.
5. Your biggest indulgence.
Watching movies. Like lots of movies. In theater, at home, I’m always watching something.
6. One thing no one knows about you.
I’m left handed. I used to always be called out on it, but now that writing has become a rare occasion, I sometimes forget I am.
7. Three things you would want with you on a deserted island.
Two Cokes and some chips.
8. The one word your best friend would use to describe you.
9. If you were not pursuing an acting career, what would you be doing right now?
Probably studying business or computer science. Or wallowing in sadness.
10. Hero or villain?
Antihero without a doubt.
11. Your life’s motto/mantra.
You gotta squeeze every drop out of your lemon.
12. Your favourite song.
Right now, The Worst Guys by Childish Gambino featuring Chance the Rapper.
13. The last book you read.
The dictionary by Webster.
14. If you were a cartoon character what cartoon character would you be and why?
Archer from Archer. Danger zone!
15. What is your most treasured possession?
A shoe box under my bed, where I keep my feelings and emotions. I need it to act.
16. Who would you most like to have dinner with?
If I could have dinner with Stanley Kubrick I could die happy.
17. Your idea of happiness.
Laughter. For a moment you forget everything and are just wholly happy.
18. The one thing in your life that makes you most proud.
I don’t take the time to be proud in things. I’m always striving towards more. Never satisfied.
19. Where do you see yourself in 20 years?
On set or performing live. Wouldn’t want it any other way.
20. To be or not to be?