Meet Denise Jones, the Artistic Director for the Vancouver Theatresports League.
Denise next directs a production of The Christmas Queen 2 – You Better Watch Out on stage at The Improv Centre on Granville Island. Set at the North Pole and Santa’s Workshop. Vancouver Theatresports League’s popular improvised fairy tale returns as the larger-than-life Christmas Queen drop in on Santa and create a little chaos in the week leading to the big day.
Meet Denise Jones
Denise was born and raised in Newfoundland, but took a ten year pit-stop in Saskatoon getting her degree before she moved to Vancouver. She was recently nominated for a Leo for her performance in Preggoland, performing alongside James Caan. She is the current Artistic Director of Vancouver TheatreSports League (VTSL), where she has been a performer for 12 years. Denise, along with her VTSL colleague Margret Nyfors, is also the driving force behind VTSL’s Girl Jam at Off Leash, a new weekly show featuring an all-female cast of improvisers. Improv changed her life and she cries every time she talks about it.
20 Questions with Denise Jones
1. Your first job.
I was a dishwasher at the Saskatoon Berry Barn until I got fired for putting baking soda in the milkshakes by mistake.
2. The job you always wanted as a child.
3. Your pet peeve.
People who bail last minute. I think it drives me crazy because I know I do it too. When something ticks me off, it’s usually because I see it in myself.
4. Your hero.
My mom. She’s lived a crazy life and she still has a sense of humour.
5. Your biggest indulgence.
Wild mushroom risotto with double butter and parm … followed by a nap.
6. One thing no one knows about you.
I have to check that my doors are locked in multiples of three.
7. Three things you would want with you on a deserted island.
My stupidly amazing boyfriend, a big box of wine and a motor boat, for when the box runs out.
8. The one word your best friend would use to describe you.
9. If you were not a theatre professional, what would you be doing right now?
I always thought I’d love landscaping as long as it wasn’t raining.
10. Hero or villain.
Villains have way more fun.
11. Your life’s motto/mantra.
I try to make it “It is what it is”…but I think it’s closer to “F@*&! Why does it have be that way!”
12. Your favourite playwright.
13. The last book you read.
Roadsense for Riders: BC’s Safe Motorcycling Riding Guide.
14. If you were a cartoon character what cartoon character would you be and why?
Hobbes from Calvin and Hobbes. His only job is to say yes and play.
15. What will it say on your grave marker?
Um ….She was supposed to be cremated.
16. Who would you most like to have dinner with?
17. Your idea of happiness.
Not worrying what people think of me.
18. If you could go back in time, what would you tell your 20-year old self?
Floss …. and stop worrying what people think of you.
19. The one thing in your life that makes you most proud.
Where I’m from. Newfoundland.
20. To be or not to be?