Meet Vancouver-based comedian, Mark Chavez.
Meet Mark Chavez
Mark Chavez, is a Vancouver based comedian best known for his work as one-half of world-renowned comedy duo the Pajama Men. The Pajama Men have toured extensively across North America, Europe , and Australia performing their unique style of live narrative comedy. In addition to his live work, Chavez has developed television and film scripts for the BBC, HBO, and Film 4. When Chavez is not on the road, he spends his time in Vancouver where he can be found on stage every Sunday with the meta-destroying improv group The Sunday Service.
20 Questions with Mark Chavez
1. Your first job.
I sold fireworks out of wooden shed in front of a super market one summer. I passed the time by reading John Grisham’s The Firm and chatting with my co-worker who was my girlfriend’s mother.
2. The job you always wanted as a child.
When I was ten, I wrote a paper for school wherein I detailed how I would move to New York City and become a fireman. I think that ship has sailed, but maybe there’s still time.
3. Your pet peeve.
When my keys are in my left pants pocket, but only my right hand is free to get them.
4. Your hero.
The tow truck drivers of the BCAA. Fer realz.
5. Your biggest indulgence.
I’ve recently been eating mookies from the Daily Grind like they’re going out style. Unfortunately vegan doesn’t mean “good for you” in many cases.
6. One thing no one knows about you.
I’m made entirely out of corn.
7. Three things you would want with you on a deserted island.
Three Frisbees in case I lose one.
8. The one word your best friend would use to describe you.
Funny (but not ha-ha funny).
9. If you were not a comedian, what would you be doing right now?
Making more money.
10. Hero or villain?
To eat? A hero.
11. Your life’s motto/mantra.
Be better than I’ve been. Its doesn’t always work, but that’s my motto.
12. The song getting the most play on your iTunes/Spotify playlist right now.
Bullet Proof by La Roux.
13. The last book you read.
John Grisham’s The Firm.
14. If you were a cartoon character which cartoon character would you be, and why?
The Coyote, with the Road Runner representing self esteem.
15. What will it say on your grave marker?
This grave is the first property Mark has ever owned.
16. Who would you most like to have dinner with?
E. O. Wilson, ant scientist.
17. Your idea of happiness.
Magically becoming completely free of worry.
18. If you could go back in time, what would you tell your twenty year old self?
That time machine you’re trying to build is going to work. Don’t give up!
19. The one thing in your life that makes you most proud.
I recently solved a picture-based Rubik’s cube in under a day. It was incredibly challenging because each square has to be oriented in the right direction relative to the rest of the picture, something you don’t have to worry about with a regular Rubik’s cube, so it really messes with what algorithms you’d use to solve it. I could go on but even I’m bored now.
20. To be or not to be?
Not ‘to be’, but not ‘not to be’ either.