Meet artist, organizer and educator Jillian Christmas.
Christmas is currently working as Artistic Director of the Verses Festival of Words, which can be seen all over Commercial Drive until May 3. Visit https://versesfestival.ca for more information.
Meet Jillian Christmas
Jillian Christmas is an artist, organizer and educator, living and learning in East Vancouver. Balancing goals which include hardcore arts administration, a desire to frolic faery-like through the gulf-islands, and responsible cat ownership; Jillian can be found beach or computer-side, barefoot or in cowgirl-boots, strumming her ukulele or organizing arts events on her overly equipped techno-phone.
20 Questions with Jillian Christmas
1. Your first job.
Altar server in my parents church, weddings and funerals … cha-ching!
2. The job you always wanted as a child.
3. Your pet peeve.
Unnecessarily numbered list poems.
4. Your hero.
My grandmother, the definition of an independent woman, self made, saucy, and stylish to boot.
5. Your biggest indulgence.
Fresh cut orchids.
6. One thing no one knows about you.
When I was younger I taught archery at a youth summer camp. It’s been awhile since I’ve shot arrows, but I keep a compound bow in my living room just in case.
7. Three things you would want with you on a deserted island.
Freshwater, my cats, a ukulele.
8. The one word your best friend would use to describe you.
9. If you were not Artistic Director at Verses what would you be doing right now?
Living on Salt Spring Island, writing nature poems and playing mother to a family of cats, bees and pygmy goats.
10. Hero or villain.
11. Your life’s motto/mantra.
“I am here, I am exactly where I need to be.” When it stops feeling true, I know it’s time to move.
12. Your favourite song.
“Funkier than a Mosquito’s Tweeter”. The Nina Simone version.
13. The last book you read.
“Cotton Candy on a Rainy Day” by Nikki Giovanni.
14. If you were a cartoon character what cartoon character would you be, and why?
Party Bear, because I made him, and because he is the embodiment of most of my hopes and all of my sadness.
15. What will it say on your grave marker?
“Party Bear wishes you could be together forever, but then you’d be dead too.”
16. Who would you most like to have dinner with?
Zaccheus Jackson Nyce.
17. Your idea of happiness.
Sleeping in, guilt-free.
18. If you could go back in time, what would you tell your twenty year old self?
You actually don’t need that increase on your credit card limit, trust me.
19. The one thing in your life that makes you most proud.
20. To be or not to be?
“To be”… for now.24