Meet Vancouver dancer and choreographer, Joe Laughlin.
Laughlin returns to the stage for his first performance in ten years in a new creation from contemporary dance company Joe Ink. Featured alongside three celebrated dance-greats, 4OUR explores universal themes of family dynamics, cross-generational relationships, and the singular moments that shape our lives. 4OUR plays at the Scotiabank Dance Centre (677 Davie St, Vancouver) October 1-3. Visit https://ticketstonight.com for tickets and information.
Meet Joe Laughlin
His background in gymnastics and extensive performance and choreographic experience in dance uniquely inform Laughlin’s style. He choreographs in contemporary dance and has also successfully crossed over into ballet, new media, theatre and television. His reputation for versatility is due as much to these forays as to his natural curiosity about life.
Laughlin is the founding founding Artistic Director of Joe Ink and his works have been performed around the world. Laughlin was choreographer for a number of television series, and was featured in the BRAVO documentary Every Body, and his stage work adapted for the dance film Herr by director John Greyson.
Well known for his personable teaching style, Laughlin’s ability to inspire dancers and non-dancers alike to discover their individual movement potential is one of his unique talents. His passion for working with communities led him to create the community dance program Move It!
20 Questions with Joe Laughlin
1. Your first job.
A stock boy in the stationery department of Woodwards
2. The job you always wanted as a child.
3. Your pet peeve.
People who don’t use common sense.
4. Your hero.
I have many heroes.
5. Your biggest indulgence.
Peanuts coated in potato chips.
6. One thing no one knows about you.
Uh, too many things to pick just one!
7. Three things you would want with you on a deserted island.
Chips, chocolate and cold beer!
8. The one word your best friend would use to describe you.
9. If you were not a dancer or choreographer, what would you be doing right now?
Tending to my garden.
10. Hero or villain.
11. Your life’s motto/mantra.
I have another question?
12. Your favourite movie?
13. The last book you read.
The Power of the Subconscious Mind.
14. If you were a cartoon character what cartoon character would you be and why?
The Roadrunner, cause I like to move fast.
15. What will it say on your grave marker?
No more questions.
16. Who would you most like to have dinner with?
17. Your idea of happiness.
18. If you could go back in time, what would you tell your twenty year old self?
Good choice, Go dance, move ahead, and always remember to enjoy the trip.
19. The one thing in your life that makes you most proud.
20. Pirouette or fouette?
I love them both!